Moving to a new house is a complicated and severely time-consuming affair. And if you are not adequately prepared, you are sure to come across many unforeseen problems during the move.
While changing homes may seem like a mammoth task, here are a few tips to break it down into smaller bits and make the move a lot easier.
1. Make Packing Quotas :- Most people tend to leave all their packing till the weekend before the big move. This results in an extremely stressful situation where everyone is in a hurry and under constant pressure while packing. And remember, once you have moved you will have to unpack. But if you decided to pack last-minute, you’re sure to be drained by the time you get to your new home.To make things easier, set yourself some packing goals and pack your belongings over a week. Each day give yourself a packing goal and put away a certain set of things. This way you won’t have too much on your plate when it is time to move and you will have enough energy left to unpack.
2. Move the Basic Stuff Earlier :- Instead of waiting for the packers and movers to take all your stuff, make your new home a little more cosy by taking over some of the basics the day before. And by the basics I mean the things that need to be kept in the toilet or in the kitchen. This way you will have the necessities on the very first day in your new home.
3. Let Your Movers Know What’s Up :- If you’ve got a piano or a really heavy bed that needs to be moved, make sure you let your movers know in advance. It’s also good to let them know about the facilities in your current home/apartment, like whether they will have to use the stairs or the elevator to move your things. By giving them an idea of what to expect, they have the opportunity to come prepared for the move, which will ensure a smoother operation.
4. Label Everything! :- Label every side of every box so you know what items lie in which box. The person moving the boxes may not always place the box with the label facing up, and this makes it difficult to find what you’re looking for. By labeling all sides of the box, you reduce the amount of time taken to unpack everything. As an additional tip, you can also drastically cut down on the number of cardboard boxes you use by packing most of your things in your suitcases, baskets, and laundry bins.
5. Don’t Forget the Essentials :- This is probably one of the most important aspects of the move – remember to contact all your utility companies and register your new address with them. This means your gas and Phone Company and your electricity supplier. Do this as early as possible so that when you move you won’t have to worry about trivial things like cooking a meal or switching on the television.
6. Defrost the Refrigerator! :- Another tiny detail to keep in mind would be to defrost your refrigerator before you move and wipe off any residual liquid. While this is the least of your concerns, it’s still another task off your checklist of things to do to ease the move.
Follow these simple yet effective tips for a hassle-free transfer and enjoy your new home to the fullest!
Watch this blog as a video: